Learn about Thanksgiving with our Thanksgiving Themed ESL lessons and activities.
Thanksgiving is a holiday cherished by most North American people. It marks one of the most anticipated meals of the year, that and Christmas. The traditions and reasons behind Thanksgiving are very important, and more, they are similar in almost ebery country adn culture, though under different names. We hope you enjoy what we made and what we have for you.
On “Turkey Day” what will you eat?
- Cranberry sauce?
- Stuffing? White or dark? a leg?
- Sweet Potatoes? Gravy? Pumpkin pie or Apple pie?
- What is a Pilgrim?
- What does Christopher Columbus have to do with Thanksgiving?
- Is Thanksgiving celebrated in other countries?
- Have you ever tried a “yam”?
- What is America’s favorite sport on Thanksgiving?
- Does turkey make you tired? Why?
In the Spirit of Giving “Thanks”! - 15 of the Best Thanksgiving ESL Lesson Plans on the Web! 1. History, vocabulary, reading and listening combine to[...]
Thanksgiving is a wonderful Fall holiday celebrated in North America (Canada and the USA). However, although very similar in how it is celebrated, it[...]
The Curious History of Canadian Thanksgiving Customs A country's culture and customs are much like a living organism in that they are ever changing, [...]
Thanksgiving ESL Lessons & Activities
- Thanksgiving Vocabulary and Discussion (Printable)
- The Curious History of Thanksgiving. An advanced reading and discussion page about Thanksgiving (Printable)
Thanksgiving in the News
- Canadian Thanksgiving 2013- Monday October 14, 2013 (in Canada it is always the 2nd Monday in October).
- American Thanksgiving 2013 – Thursday, November 28, 2013 (in the USA it is on the 4th Thursday in November)
- Thanksgiving is a harvest festival. In fact, there are similar holidays celebrated all over the world. Can you name some?
- Korea – Chuseok
- Can you name some more? Do a Google search for “Thanksgiving in _____ (country name)”