- A: How often do you work out*?
- B: Every day.
*work out = physical exercise, especially in a gym or fitness club, but also can include any exercise. “I had a great workout at the swimming pool this morning.”
How often = questions can be answered in many ways.
- Every day (second, minute, hour, day, week, month, year, decade, etc.)
- Every second day
- Every week
- Every month
- Every six months
- Every year
- Once a day (a second, a minute, an hours, a week/a month/a year, etc.)
- Twice a day
- Three times a day
- Four times a day
In descending order of frequency
- From time to time
- Most of the time
- Most weekdays
- Most evenings
- Most Mondays
About or around is used if you don’t want to be exact, or can’t give an exact number.
- How often do you go skiing?
- About 6 times a year
- How often do you go shopping?
- Around twice a week
Answer the following questions:
- How often do you work out?
- How often do you surf the net*.
- How often do you play computer games*?
Note: the plural is used because this is a generality. It is almost always used when speaking about computer games NOT computer game. So, don’t say, I like computer game-say, I like computer games. If you use the name of the computer game, just put the name.
Now ask your keypal these questions!
- How often do you play Warcraft?
- How often do you get angry? Why do you usually get angry?
- How often do you lie? What do you usually lie about?
- How often do you worry?
- How often do you meditate?
- How often do you scream?
- How often do you read labels?